A social media campaign that started in Texas has now taken complete hold across Minnesota in response to that virus of which we do not speak.
Q: What is #BeTheLightMN?
A: It is dual threat social media campaign and a show of community solidarity by schools around the state as they turn on the lights at their athletic complexes. It’s a symbolic outreach to students, staff, the community that we’re all in this together, we’ll get through this, and we’re thinking of you. Often times, it is in direct honor of this year’s graduating Class of 2020. A majority of schools will turn on their lights at either 8:00pm for 20 minutes or at 8:20pm for 20 minutes. Why that time? Because in military time, it’s 20:20. Pretty cool, right?
Below is a list of area schools (in alphabetical order) with where and when they’ll flip the switch to on. The lights will be turned on Monday evenings unless stated otherwise:
(If you insist on taking a drive to the location, please understand that social distancing guidelines are still in place. Stay in your cars!)
- ALEXANDRIA- at Viking Savings Bank Field on Wednesdays for 20 minutes (no specific time found)
- BATTLE LAKE- 8:20 at the football field
- BRANDON-EVANSVILLE- 8:20 at the football field
- BROWERVILLE- at Browerville football field and Clarissa baseball field each Monday (no specific time found)
- CROSBY-IRONTON- 9:00 at John Davies Field every Friday
- DETROIT LAKES- 8:00 at Mollberg Field for 20 minutes each Monday
- HENNING- 8:00 at Don Seipkes Field for 20 minutes each Monday
- LITTLE FALLS- 8:00 at the track for two hours Monday-Friday
- LONG PRAIRIE-GREY EAGLE- 8:00 at football and baseball fields for an hour
- MENAHGA- 8:00 at the baseball field for 20 minutes and 20 seconds every Wednesday
- NEW YORK MILLS- 8:00 at Russ Jacobson Field for 20 minutes and at the football field at 8:20 for 20 minutes and 20 seconds
- PARK RAPIDS AREA- 8:00 at the football field for an hour Monday-Friday
- PARKERS PRAIRIE- 7:30-9:00 at the football field
- PELICAN RAPIDS- 8:00 at Chauncey Martin Field and the football field for 20 minutes every Monday
- PERHAM- 9:00 at Meinhover Field, Tuffy Stadium, and Arvig Park (pending city approval) for 20 minutes each Monday
- PILLAGER- 8:00 at the football and softball field for 20 minutes
- SAUK CENTRE- 7:00 at the football field for three hours each Monday
- SEBEKA- 8:20 at the football field for an hour
- STAPLES-MOTLEY- 8:20 at the football field for 20 minutes
- WADENA-DEER CREEK- 8:20 at the football field for 20 minutes
If you’re on the Twitters, I encourage you to check out #BeTheLightMN and see who’s taking part all across the state.