The Minnesota Department of Transportation has expanded the no travel advisory in west central Minnesota.
Motorists are advised not to travel on the following state and federal highways due to dangerous driving conditions:
· Interstate 94 from Moorhead to Fergus Falls
· Highway 10 from Moorhead to Hawley
· Highway 336 from I-94 to Highway 10
· Highway 75 from Perley to Moorhead
· Highway 75 from Moorhead to Breckenridge
· Highway 9 from Barnesville to Breckenridge
· Highway 210, from Fergus Falls to Breckenridge
Blowing snow is causing whiteout conditions. Snowplows will continue to operate, but motorists are advised not to travel in these areas until conditions improve.
Blowing snow creates hazardous driving conditions.
No travel advisory expanded in west central Minnesota.
The National Weather Service has issued a Blizzard Warning for the western edge of Minnesota. Be prepared for extremely difficult travel conditions. Total snowfall predictions vary, but forecasted wind gusts of 50 miles per hour, in some areas, could lead to dangerous travel conditions.
MnDOT snowplow crews are prepared for overnight snow tonight, which is forecasted to taper off by Saturday evening. Motorists are encouraged to plan ahead and be weary of blizzard-like conditions. The public can view winter road conditions from plow cameras available through the 511mn.org website.
MnDOT snowplow operators are doing their part to make highways safe. Motorists should remember to:
- Call 511 or visit 511mn.org before leaving on your trip to get current road conditions.
- Turn on your headlights and wear your seat belt.
- Turn off your cruise control.
- Slow down; allow at least 10 car lengths between your vehicle and a plow.
- Stay behind the snowplow. The road behind a snowplow is safer to drive on.
- Watch for snowplows that turn or exit frequently, and often with little warning.
- Never drive into a snow cloud.
For tips on safe winter driving, go to.
For real-time traffic and travel information in Minnesota, visitor get the free smartphone app at or the .